Minimum Requirements – adapted from UNECE standard DDP-23 and other industry standards.
Macadamia kernel provided is:
- In appearance; creamy, light golden kernels
- In texture; firm and crunchy
- Intact (for whole kernels only); however, slight superficial damage is not considered as a defect
- Sound; produce affected by rotting or deterioration such as to make it unfit for human consumption is excluded.
- Clean; practically free of any visible foreign matter.
- Whole kernels are sufficiently developed; no shrunken or shrivelled kernels which are extremely flat and wrinkled, or with dehydrated, dried out or tough portions affecting more than 25 per cent of the kernel (per kernel).
- Free from blemishes, areas of discolouration or spread stains in pronounced contrast with the rest of the kernel/pieces. For whole kernels this should not affect in aggregate more than 25 per cent of the kernel (per kernel).
- Well formed.
- Free from living pests, whatever stage of development.
- Free from damage caused by pests, including the presence of dead insects and/or mites, their debris or excreta.
- Free from mould filaments visible to the naked eye.
- Free from rancidity
- Free from abnormal external moisture
- Free of foreign smell and/or taste.
|Style 0||Greater than 20 mm with minimum 95% wholes.|
|Style 1||16mm to 21mm with minimum 90% wholes|
|Style 1S||13mm to 17mm minimum 95% wholes|
|Style 2||Greater than 13mm with minimum 50% wholes|
|Style 3||Greater than 13mm with minimum 15% wholes|
|Style 4L||Greater than 13mm with minimum 80% halves|
|Style 4||Pieces and halves larger than 13 mm|
|Style 4S||9mm to 16mm with minimum 50% halves|
|Style 5||9mm to 13mm large chips|
|Style 6||5mm to 9mm chips and pieces|
|Style 7||Chips and pieces smaller than 5mm|
Definition of wholes: Whole kernels are kernels which are not split or separated into halves, with not more than 25% of the kernel missing, provided that the kernel contour is not materially affected.
Primary packaging: Vacuum packed and Nitrogen flushed with residual Oxygen less than 2% in Laminated Foil Pouches (Metpet bags) with the following oxygen and water vapour transmission rates:
- Oxygen: maximum 0.1cc/sqm/24 hours @ 25degC, 50% RH at 1 bar atmosphere pressure
- Water vapour: maximum 0.1g/sqm/24 hours @ 25degC, 75% RH at 1 bar atmosphere pressure
- Secondary Packaging: 15 mm triple walled carton box, 25lbs (11.34kg).
|Colour:||Uniform natural cream color|
|Appearance:||Free from surface oil|
|Flavour and Odour:||No off flavours or odours|
|Reject Defects:||Max 1%|
|Loose Shell:||Max 2 pieces larger than 2 mm per 100 kg.|
|Impact Shell:||Max 1 piece larger than 2 mm per 100 kg.|
|Kernel Dust:||Max 0.2%|
|Peroxide value||< 2 meq/kg|
|Free Fatty Acid||Max 0.5|
|Total Plate Count:||Max 30 000 cfu/g|
|Moulds and Yeasts:||Max 20 000 cfu/g|
|Salmonella:||Not detected in 250g|
|Ecoli:||Max 10 cfu/g|
|Coliforms:||Max 350 cfu/g|
|Aflatoxin Total:||Max 4 ppb|
|Aflatoxin B1:||Max 2 ppb|
|Defects allowed||Tolerances allowed|
|Mould:||Kernel showing appearance of mould||< 0.3%|
|Germination:||Kernel showing signs of germination||<1%|
|Insect damage:||Kernel showing obvious signs of insect damage||<1%|
|Immaturity:||Shrunken or shrivelled kernel||<1%|
|Malformed:||Misshapen or deformed kernel||<1%|
|Total of the above:||The total of these defects must be less than||1% <1%|
|Discoloration:||Any abnormal discoloration of the kernel||<6%|
|Onion ring: brown ring outwardly|
|Darks: abnormal brown/grey discoloration|
|Impacted shell:||Piece of shell >2mm embedded in the kernel||Maximum 1 per 100 kg|
|Total defects:||Not to exceed 7% (1% defects + 6 % discoloured)||7%|
|Size:||Kernels not conforming to size indicated||7%|
Heavy Metal Tolerances
|Cadmium||< 0.05 mg / kg|
|Mercury||< 0.03 mg / kg|
|Lead||< 0.10 mg / kg|
Chemical Residues: No residue exceeding EU MRL (Act 03.50.20 – Plant Health)
Additives: No additives allowed
Shelf life: 12 months if kept at <2% moisture in absence of oxygen and excessive heat
24 months if kept below 18 C at <2% moisture in absence of oxygen
Macadamia nuts will cause all symptoms associated with a nut allergy. They contain the potential allergens: glutamic acid, phenylalanine, and the sugars; glucose, sucrose and fructose. There are not traces of peanuts or peanut oil as the pack house packs macadamia nuts exclusively.
Lot/Batch Code Description
Each carton will accurately reflect the product particulars it contains.
The following fields are reflected for traceability purposes:
|Class:||1||No further processing required|
|2||Further processing required|
|Style:||According to Style classification|
|Cultivar:||Distinguish Hybrid from Integrifolia cultivars (HYB/INT)|
|Batch Code:||First digit||Indicate Lot Number:|
|3||Premium grade roasted Lot|
|4||Commercial grade roasted Lot|
|5||Nut in shell Lot|
|Digits 2, 3 and 4||Batch number|
|Digits 5 and 6||Year of packaging|
|Digits 7 and 8||Month of packaging|
|Digits 9 and 10||Day of packaging (from which “best before” date can be derived)|
Country of Origin: Republic of South Africa